Applying to the Worcester Family Medicine Residency
Questions about your application? Please contact Michael Smith, Associate Director of Admissions, at 508-334-8023 or Michael.Smith@umassmemorial.org
We only accept applications through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) and fill PGY-1 positions through the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP) only. Please note that we cannot accept applications sent to us via fax or email!
A complete application file for all LCME and International Medical Graduates must include:
- Completed ERAS Application
- Medical School Transcript indicating medical school graduation within 5 years
- Medical School Dean's letter
- Passing scores on USMLE 1, 2, 2CS, or COMLEX exams by second attempt
- At least 3 recommendation letters from faculty supervisors
- Personal Statement
Additional application requirements for International Medical Graduates:
- Valid ECFMG Certificate
- The preferred visa option is J-1.
- Minimum of 6 months of prior U.S. or equivalent clinical
experience with significant patient care responsibility to include:
- Direct patient contact
- History taking
- Physical examinations
- Development of differential diagnoses
- Identification of relevant clinical findings
- Problem assessments
- Formulation of management plans
- Observerships/externships which do not include the above cannot be accepted
Our program is like three residencies in one! Applicants may list one, two, or all three health centers on their match list depending upon personal preference.
Applicants must interview at each health center they intend to rank since each health center constructs its own rank list. The UMass Worcester Family Medicine Residency has three separate match numbers – one for each health center:
Barre Family Health Center (Barre)
Family Health Center of Worcester
Hahnemann Family Health Center
NRMP policy requires that each training program provide complete and accurate information to interviewees, including a sample contract and the institution's policies on visa status and eligibility for appointment to a residency or fellowship position, as applicable. Please find additional information here.