A variety of opportunities are available to volunteer. The Volunteer Questionnaire and Volunteer Opportunities Flyer can assist you in determining where you would like to volunteer / mentor. You can also contact Robert Layne at 508-856-2417 to discuss the volunteer details in full and he can best match your time availability with the available options.
Students that are not part of the WPC or the Outreach Programs should contact Volunteer Services office for opportunities at 774-443-2362.
Mentor (Group or One-to-One)
- Mentors will be paired with as many as four North High School health magnet students two times per month to discuss educational goals, study skills, and career goals. Days and times are to be determined.
- Mentors will be paired with Allied Health students at Worcester Technical High School students two times per month to share educational topics, study skills, and career goals. Days and times are to be determined.
Projects Fair Coach and/or Judge
- Grades 3 - 12 (varied subjects) - November through March, two hours per month. As a coach you will be paired with students to brainstorm project ideas, assist with research, and maintain journals required for project judging. Projects Fair Judges (may also be Coaches) may be selected to judge at one or several schools during the Spring Projects Fair.
- Grades K - 6. Must be available for at least one classroom visit per month. Dates and times are flexible based on your discussion with the teacher and include during and after school visits. As a Visiting Scientist, you may assist science teachers with activities and/or experiments to meet the needs for inquiry-based, hands-on curricula.
- The purpose of the bureau is to enlighten all students about careers in Healthcare and Biomedical Research and Biotechnology. The information you share with the students in just one or more visits is invaluable.
- MCAS Math Tutor - Mentors will be paired with health magnet students to provide one-to-one or one-to-two math tutoring. Volunteers will have an opportunity to meet North High School math teachers to discuss strategies.Days and times to be determined.
- Science / Math / Computer Tutors - Mentors will be paired with Worcester East Middle School students to provide tutoring in one or all of the subjects.Days and times to be determined.
Host UMMS Tours
- Be a UMMS Tour Guide for college or high school tour groups. You will be contacted to see if you are available. Groups of students tour pre-arranged departments at the University Campus. Volunteers would direct the group to each department; department supervisors would be responsbile to discuss the functions of the specific departments. From September through May for approximaely 3 hours per tour. If you do choose to submit your name for this volunteer opportunity, you do not have to be available for every tour, but agree to be a contact as a possible tour guide.
- Medical students volunteer to speak to the Summer Enrichment Program participants and the High School Health Careers Program participants on two occasions between June - August. Volunteers participate in a panel discussion with other medical students to answer questions about applying and getting into medical school and/or their personal journey to medical school and life as a medical school student.
The following section is for Department Supervisors only:
Host Shadow Day
- Students from Worcester East Middle School (one of our partner schools) are paired with a department host at UMMS, UMMH, and Abbott Biomedical Research. Shadowing through the WPC provides seventh and eighth grade students with opportunities to observe possible career choices that are available and attainable.
Host North High School Interns for One Semester
- Seniors from North High School's Health and Science Academy and Worcester Technical High School's Health Assistant Program are matched for internships for one school semester. Seniors from these two schools are placed at UMMMC and Umass departments.
WPC Home | Volunteer Opportunities| Volunteer Application | WPC Programs | Reports/Publications