David’s French Onion Soup
1 cup whole wheat flour (barley, millet or rice flour may be substituted)
1 pkg wakame (sea vegetable)
4 Tbs. South River Miso (Barley, Brown Rice, Adzuki, etc.)
½ cup cold pressed, unfiltered corn oil
2 qts water
1. Prepare onions by cutting in half, removing ends and peeling. Then cut length-wise into crescents.
2. Place wakame in bowl of water and soak until soft.
3. Place all of the oil except for 1 tablespoon into large pot. Heat over medium heat and sauté onions until caramelized.
4. Drain water from wakame (save) and chop into small pieces. Add to onions before caramelizing is complete.
5. Use the reserved tablespoon of corn oil to roast the 1-cup of flour until it is golden and smells sweet.
6. Add water (2 qts) plus the liquid used to soak the wakame to the onion mixture. Bring to boil then reduce to simmer.
7. Take out several cups of the simmering water and place in large bowl. Mix in half the miso (2 tbs miso per cup of water). Whisk until mixed thoroughly.
8. Add the miso mixture back to simmering soup. Adjust to your individual tastes.
Per serving (384g): 182 Calories, 7.8g fat, 1.1g sat fat, 26.5g carbohydrate, 6.4g protein, 7g fiber, 391mg sodium