For a Greener Holiday Season
The sustainability goals at the Medical School extend beyond the limits of the campus. If students, faculty and staff adopt sustainable practices in elements of their home life, then we move closer to the overarching goal of a more sustainable community. So in the spirit of the holiday season now approaching, the UMMS Growing Green team offers these suggestions:
- Purchase ENERGY STAR rated products.
- Buy local products and services wherever possible.
- Use reusable shopping bags whenever possible.
- Be aware of the sustainability practices (or lack thereof) of companies that produce and sell products, before buying.
- Consider reusable and creative packaging for holiday gifts rather than disposal wrap.
- If you use holiday lights, choose LED lights, which use 75 percent less electricity and last up to 10 times longer than traditional lighting strings.
- If you have a natural Christmas tree, be sure to recycle it. You can usually find a location to do so (and to recycle other products) by contacting your community’s municipal offices or by checking this website: http://earth911.com
- Consider reusable containers and dinnerware when planning holiday gatherings and urge all who attend to recycle as appropriate.
- Serve locally grown and organic food at festivities.
The Growing Green team wishes everyone in our campus community a peaceful and pleasant holiday season.