Do you have to trash it?
The Medical School is committed to the ambitious goal of reducing its overall waste stream and to increasing the amount of recycled waste from the current 30 percent of all waste to 50 percent. To help the campus reach that target, the Growing Green Recycling Committee is working on expanding recycling locations, signage and options for recycling items.
What we recycle
- Co-mingled plastics, aluminum and metal recycling (click here for a full list)
- Paper and cardboard (click here for a full list)
- Ink cartridges: The campus community can recycle ink cartridges at the UMMS Bookstore and other collection sites throughout the campus.
- Electronics: Computers and monitors are recycled through Blue Star Computer Corp.
- Battery Recycling: From July 2008 through June 2009, University Campus departments amassed 7,366 pounds of used batteries, which were shipped to hazardous waste processing facilities. Battery collection bins are available throughout the campus.
- Furniture: Useful surplus campus furniture is donated to regional non-profits.
Where to recycle
Look on campus for green and blue recycling bins in common areas, offices and conference rooms. If you want more information, or need additional bins, please contact the Auxiliary Services office.